Wednesday, April 06, 2011

It's Alive!!!

Okay, so I'm back. I took to my bed in despair with the passing of Fat Buddy and haven't written on the blog since.

But things are good. The new "normal" is as follows:

There's someone in my life who will henceforth be known on the blog as "The South American". He's special--and completely urban. Can't chop wood (well, he can now), needs constant supervision around power tools and is really good with numbers. The South American and I have been keeping company since fall of 2009.

I'm spending a good bit of time, on and off at The South American's house in Knoxville and so, have access to connections faster than my 24K dialup. That means I can post here in under 2 hours. Really, posting from home became impossible, not to mention blog browsing which is damn near impossible. It takes 3 to 8 minutes to load a page there.

I have no goats at the moment.

Had a huge dust-up with the mouth breathers at Newport Utilities. They are forcing me to estimate my power bill and pay it before I know how much power I've used. As far as I know, I'm the only customer forced to do this. I never missed a single payment--yet they sent goons to my house to disconnect my power--after I'd paid them. This is how they treat the disabled and aged in Cocke County. It's clear they've gone completely insane and are not to be trusted. I've got a nice chunk of durian in my freezer and I'd like to send them a fruit basket just to say "muuu-ah"!

I need both knees replaced and have to lose 65 more pounds before this can happen. But I've been banned from my treadmill. I'm spending lots of time on a recumbent bike and loving it--but it's slow going with the steroids.

I've taken up leather braiding.

I'm drowning in medical debt.

I continue to write.

And I'm ready to move. I love my farm, it's still my heart--but The South American has shown me that life in the city is not so bad. Being near bookstores, gyms, libraries and intellectuals has its finer points. Plus, the winters have become unbearable up in Grassy. Two of them in a row where it snowed and snowed and snowed--not just the pretty, getting a taste of winter snow--but nasty slush producing icy mixes that were no fun at all and trapped me there. The road I live on is the last to melt, so it's always a scary driving experience.

I'm learning a foreign language. Eu fala só um pouco de português.

I ran into Jimmy and Pam not too long ago. They are doing great and now that the weather is warm, I want to treat The South American to a one of a kind experience. Snake church. In the meantime, we are talking about attending the U.U.


So that's what's going on, my possums. What's everyone doing these days?

5 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    I have so missed you Rosie. Many times I have wondered how you were doing and what you were up to. I am so glad that you have someone in your life now. Companionship has its good points. I too took some time away from my blog and then returned. Right now I am in away mode again. There is just too much going on in my life right now and when everything settles down again I will be back yet again. For right now I hang around Facebook and drop a line from time to time.
    Big hugs Girl and lots of love!
    Tim Jones-Yelvington said...
    I am very happy to "see" you! ...Because of your health stuff, I get worried when you're gone from the internet for long periods of time.
    Margy Rydzynski said...
    Dang - it's Rosie! How ya' doing, girl? Good to hear about the South American and horrified to hear about your medical debt. No chance of Medicaid before they slash it to ribbons, at least?

    I like the idea of you moving to a more urban area. Maybe it's because I'm a city girl myself, but you'll have access to amenities you'll like and need as time goes by. Or so I get the feeling.

    Recumbent bike, eh? Good luck with that. My knees are on the shot side themselves, although not at the point of needing replacement.

    I'm still up here in Boston and still writing. I joined a writers group and have steady output as a result. I'm still blogging, too, at http://blogcollectables.wordpress.com/

    I hope you might be able to read it now that you have faster internet access.

    And keep in touch now that you can!

    Hugs,
    Margy
    Jessica Gottlieb said...
    Oh I love knowing that you've got company and I cannot wait for a post from the snake church. Please write more. We've missed you.
    Galadriel said...
    Rosie! I'm glad to see a post from you.

    I tested positive for Lyme disease last fall, which explains the pain, the neurological quirks, the spiraling downward of my overall condition. They think I picked it up years ago and it's just been accumulating damage since then. So at least I know what the problem is.

    I'm glad to hear that you've got good regular company and ;) some access to better utilities than at home, too.

Post a Comment